Joe Hardwick’s introduction to our Portraits of Integrity meeting on William Gladstone.
Background Readings and Modern Commentary
- Perry Butler, Gladstone: Church, State and Tractarianism (Oxford, 1982), pp. 120-32.
- H. C. G. Matthew, Gladstone, 1809-1898 (Oxford, 1997), pp. 59-73.
- D. C. Lathbury, Correspondence on Church and Religion of Mr William Ewart Gladstone, vol. I (New York, 1910), pp. 29-33 and 67-75.
- John Morley, On Compromise (London: Macmillan and Co., 1908 [originally published 1874]), introduction [extract] and chapter iii. Accessible here or contact us for pdf.
Further Primary Sources
- Gladstone’s 11 April 1845 speech on the Maynooth Bill can be found here.